How To Claim A Tax Refund

These days, it’s more and more common to slip through the net and end up paying more tax than you actually owe to HMRC. Whether due to changing jobs, the variety of different contract types, or switching between employment and self-employment, there are many reasons that you may be owed a tax refund.


If you’re wondering how to claim a tax refund in the UK, it can be confusing, especially given the complex tax code system. There may even be ways you can claim a tax refund online, for example, if you have paid for your own business or employment travel. To help you understand the maze of claiming a tax refund, it’s worth consulting tax refund advisors online.


To claim a tax refund, how you go about it will depend on the system through which you paid your taxes, whether PAYE or CIS and you’ll need to carry out various bits of government paperwork in order to do so. You’ll also need to make sure you do it at the right time within four years from the end of the tax year.


When you go through tax refund companies instead, the process can be simplified. You will need to link your bank account, upload your P60 if you’re in employment, or upload invoices if you’re self-employed, completing any relevant expenses. This makes it possible to calculate what you may be owed, and then claim your refund for you on your behalf.